Cybersecurity 101: End of the Year Tips for Enhancing Cybersecurity
As we discussed in October, avoiding cyberattacks is critical while teams are working remote and the holiday season is peak season for cybercriminals to deploy more attacks.
According to Dell, hacking is more than just cybercrime – it is big business! In fact, the average cost of a data breach is $3.92 million as of 2019 (Security Intelligence). In 2019, RiskBased security findings showed that data breaches exposed 4.1 billion records in the first half of the year. By 2020, passwords used by humans and machines for potential breach is estimated to grow to 300 billion (Cybersecurity Media).
At Visual Edge IT, we understand these statistics and how to combat cybercrime. We understand that the landscape of cybersecurity is changing rapidly and that being responsive is critical when recovery is needed. We are dedicated to keeping your critical infrastructure secure.
Below are some more tips for December for small and medium businesses as you move through the holiday season into the new year:
- Don’t plug unknown devices into your computer.
- Confirm requests via multiple lines of communication.
- Be proactive with your compliance and cybersecurity.
- Monitor your credit and financial statements.
- Perform vulnerability scans and penetration tests.
- Have a disaster recovery plan in place.
- Review access controls regularly. Know who has access to what data.
- Perform a data audit. Know what data you have and where it’s located.
- Always lock your devices
- Think before you click.
- Delete old accounts that you no longer use.
To learn more, check out our blog Cybersecurity for Small and Medium Sized Businesses.
Visual Edge IT is dedicated to keeping your business secure. Working with one of our skilled IT consultants ensures that your organization has everything it needs to do just that. Give your business total defense against digital threats with our Managed Security Services.